April 18, 2011

Spring Plans

I have been so focused on the wedding plans that I almost forgot that it's spring and I have other important planning to attend to! I completely forgot about my garden. After last year I learned a lot and gained a lot of confidence. My garden did really well, and I have extremely high yields on most of what I planted considering it was my 1st try and the 1st year in a new planting bed. Although, the one thing that was disappointing was that Chuck and I really didn't keep up and use as much as I would have liked. That means there was a lot wasted! Luckily I have a bunny, and she was able to eat a bunch of scraps to, so we wouldn't have to throw them away, but even she couldn't keep up.

Tomato's:
Last year we planted 4 tomato plants. One Cherry, one Romano and two big beefy plants. I think this year we are skipping the big beefy - although they were really good once ripe, they took up the most space and produced the least amount of actual tomato's. Plus they weren't really ready until the very end of summer. The cherry's were very high yielding and took up the least amount of space - but they are small. So I think we might opt for a larger cherry tomato this year. The Romano did well, but they aren't an eat off the vine type and we didn't cook as many as we should - they are out too.  So I think we are going to just plant two tomato's plants in the larger cherry variety this year.

Fruits:
Last year I planted Rhubarb, Raspberries, and Strawberries. All of these are already coming up in the garden, the raspberries in particular have  shoots coming up from the root base everywhere! I don't think it will be long before the whole garden is raspberries. I guess I am OK with that - they are delicious and I eat them like crazy. In addition to the three mentioned above I am going to give Honey Dew Melon a try. I think that would be a good mix of fruits that will be eaten and taste great in the summer. I will probably try to can a bunch of these this fall.

Veggies:
The rest of the garden will be filled with several Snow Pea plants and Green beans which did pretty good last year and I literally was eating them off the vine as they ripened - love! I am going to try cucumbers this year instead of zucchini. Which we can make into pickles this fall if we have a bunch that we can't eat. We have garlic up already that are a few inches high left over from last year.  I am also going to plant some sunflowers, peppers, spinach, carrots, and leeks.

Herbs:
Most importantly - Spearmint - for my Mojitos! My favorite part of summer. I wish I could grow my own limes! Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, Cilantro, Chives, and Oregano. Herbs are always my favorite because I can just walk out and touch them with my fingers and they just smell so wonderful. Plus they add a lot of color. I put them in planter pots all around the main garden. 
 
This is a picture of my garden last year - I think this was taken in May.

I am super excited about my garden, I love spending time out there with my bunny and Jayda. Weeding or just sitting our there and looking at the new sprouts or flowers or veggies that have grown.  Usually the first thing I do when I get home from work is go right out to the garden.

This year chuck is also going to be growing Hops for his beer and I am going to make a small water garden for the deck. It should be a good summer :)